Success Collection Excerpts on Briefing Cases, Taking Notes, Scheduling, and other Important Things

This section is for topics relevant to 1L students only! All other announcements can be found in the General Announcements section.
student svcs lib

Success Collection Excerpts on Briefing Cases, Taking Notes, Scheduling, and other Important Things

Post by student svcs lib »

Hello all!

I hope you are all enjoying your first week of classes! Now that you are officially off and running, I thought I would pass along a few timely excerpts from our Law School Success Collection: The first attachment from Hard-Nosed Advice from a Cranky Law Professor details how you should brief a case, the second, from 1L of a Ride, walks you through how to take good notes in class, while the third, from A Weekly Guide to Being a Model Law Student, talks about setting up a schedule and provides a general overview of how to approach the start of the semester. I cannot overemphasize the importance of starting to study early! Getting on a weekly study schedule will save you a lot of stress in the long-run and will make your workload towards the end of the semester much more manageable.

Also available through our West Study Aids Subscription: https://subscription.westacademic.com/B ... ment-views Also available through our West Study Aids Subscription: https://subscription.westacademic.com/B ... ment-views

These titles and many others in our Success Collection will provide helpful tips on succeeding in law school and in your careers, so please check them out next time you are in the library!

The Success Collection is located on the main floor of the Law Library across from the Service Desk:
2nd_fl_success_coll.jpg.jpg
2nd_fl_success_coll.jpg.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

I would like to offer you one more excerpt to read. Law School can be a high-stress experience for many and prioritizing your mental and physical health is just as important as learning the best way to study. This excerpt from How to be Sort of Happy in Law School will go over some common stressors that law students face, especially in the beginning. Remember, everyone at the law school is here to help you. Please reach out no matter what problems you may come across.
How to be Sort of Happy in Law School.pdf
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 208 times

Be sure to keep an eye on SIP for more helpful hints moving forward! And as always if you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me.
All the best,
Austin
Austin Waters
Student Services Librarian
University at Buffalo School of Law
221B O’Brian Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260
(716) 645-8595
bawaters@buffalo.edu
she/they
My Office is a Safe Space.